• Start early – many camps fill up by February
• Use the camp search engine
• Attend a local camp fair, such as the Camps Expo in Toronto
• Ask friends/family for ideas
• Check brochures in Holland Bloorview's Family Resource Centre or at your community centre.
• Ask your child about their interests
• Read camp brochures together
• Does your child want to
Do new activities
• Will the camp support your child’s interests and special needs?
• Call the camp director or integration specialist to discuss your child’s needs
• Many camps and community centres have inclusion policies
• The camp may help arrange for a 1:1 support worker for your child, or you can hire a worker through the CHAP program
• Speak to the camp director about staff experience with children with special needs, and staff-to-camper
• Some camps offer subsidies or can apply for funding on your behalf. Speak to the camp director
• Municipal parks and recreation departments offer camp subsidies for children in financial need
• Funding sources are listed in our Family Resource Centre or talk to your social worker.
• Check deadlines
• Ask to visit the camp, or to have staff meet your child at home
• Submit your application, including emergency contacts and all information that will help staff
better understand your child.