Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Girl with mental disability to receive transplant after all

A child who was disqualified from a kidney transplant because of her intellectual disability will receive the procedure, with her mother acting as donor, according to the blog Babble.

Chrissy Rivera, mom to Amelia Rivera, 4 (left), writes that her daughter has been approved for the surgery. Earlier this year, over 50,000 people signed a petition at change.org asking the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia to reconsider its decision to deny Amelia a transplant.

2 comments:

THAT is excellent news! Thank you for reminding us of this story (although it engendered some painful exchanges!).

So thankful to hear this!! I've never met the Rivera family and I live nowhere near Philadelphia, but as a mom of a child with a disability, this story has touched me and disturbed me and made me incredibly anxious. So glad to hear it finally has a happy ending!!