Tuesday, September 27, 2011

School update
















Ben continues to enjoy his school. His assistant was away yesterday, so one of ours went in. This is what she had to say:

It was great to see him parade though the high school crowd with a smile on his face and see how proud he was in his body language. I think there is some further adapting that needs to happen for participation in all classes, but I know he is being challenged and enjoys where he is. He enjoys being challenged, independent and participating in class.

And from the principal: It has been quite remarkable to see how Ben has adjusted.

4 comments:

wheeee!!!!! so awesome!

:) Liz the PT

Yay for you Ben!
I LOVE hearing these school updates. I'm so proud of you for standing up for Ben and fighting to get him where he needs to be. Inspiration for those times when I feel a child's school placement is a BAD fit but it's hard to know if fighting it will get the child anywhere good.

wow, sounds good!! thinking of you lots...

Thank you Liz, Megan and Tekeal.

I almost feel like I don't want to "jinx" anything by reporting that things are going well. I know there will be major challenges, but I only have our previous experiences to compare it to and in that context it's a major improvement.

And yes Megan, I think often about how things would have gone if I'd stuck with what we were offered. A horrifying thought. Basically no future for Ben and a sense of hopelessness.